Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Thursday, June 28

Getting Creative in the Kitchen

Now that summer is here and my sweet boy is home everyday from school the issue of what to have for lunch becomes the prominent question of the day. Since he's 12 and 5' 6 1/2" you won't be surprised when I say that the lunch question becomes an issue around 9am.

I'm kind of a -- whatever I can scrounge up will be good to have for lunch, I'd rather work than stop for lunch and often eat my lunch while taking a break in front of the computer, I know that's bad. Sometimes lunch is a couple of hard-boiled eggs and sliced cucumbers or baby carrots, or that tiny scrap of leftover Italian chicken stew -- basically whatever I can find to fill the void works for me.

For him though, he wants a sandwich, or pizza or something substantial and not the same thing everyday. This means I have to put a little thought into lunch. And each summer it takes me a few weeks to get there -- and this also means I'm often scrambling with what to feed a growing boy of 12 at the 11th hour.

Yesterday after a quick look in the pantry realized that we had NOTHING to fill his gullet with but a can of chicken -- since we are off of bread for the summer I had to get creative with the presentation for my little foodie. With that, my "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Chicken Slaw" salad came about. 


Here's how you can make it too:

Everything but the Kitchen 
Sink Chicken Slaw

What you need:
1 12 oz. can of Premium Chicken Breast
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated purple cabbage
1/2 English Cucumber cut into 1/4" slices then quarter each slice
10 - 15 black olives, cut into thirds
1/4 cup mayonnaise -- home made would be best
2 tablespoons Italian Dressing

Garnish:
1 Avocado
6 cherry tomatoes for each serving
Salt and Pepper
What to do:
Mix together gently chicken and chopped vegetables in a mixing bowl. Add mayo and Italian Dressing and mix to coat. Dish out salad onto plates and garnish with 1/2 chopped avocado and tomatoes for each serving. This recipe made 2 servings with a third reserved  for lunch today. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each serving and enjoy! 

To get more servings double the recipe as needed and enjoy. This would be the perfect meal on a hot summer night -- or quick and easy picnic salad. 
 

I also wanted to show you how you can get a really cool look to your photos. The first photo was taken using the standard camera on my iPhone 4, the second was using the Hipstamatic App. While they both look cool, I think the Hipsta looks the most creative! 

Well, that's all for today -- we're off to do some tie-dieing. Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.